Position Title: Administrative Assistant to the Founder
Status: Full Time
Classification: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime Pay)
Date: April 2012
Job Summary: The Assistant to the Founder undertakes a variety of administrative and personal assistant responsibilities and duties that are related to and performed in support and furtherance of Landesa’s mission.
Reporting and relationships: The Assistant will directly support Landesa’s Founder, Roy Prosterman, and report to the Executive Assistant to the CEO.
Availability: The Assistant will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours. Occasional overtime, including evenings and weekends, as well as infrequent domestic travel, may be required.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages the Founder’s email including screening and responding with or without Founder’s input, as appropriate, and forwarding to other staff as necessary. Handles incoming phone calls for the Founder and takes and relays messages as appropriate.
- Manages and updates Founder’s calendar, including scheduling a large volume of domestic (multiple time zones) and international appointments involving China, India and Africa. Schedules meetings between Founder, internal staff and/or external constituents.
- Plans both the content and logistics of Founder’s travel, working in coordination with the Travel Manager, including making hotel and transportation arrangements; coordinating with internal staff (Communications/Development/Advocacy) and external constituents as necessary; researching organizations and individuals; passport/visa renewal; and preparing travel/briefing packets for Founder.
- Assists with the Founder’s program-related activities, including correspondence and communications, creating and managing documents either directly or from the Founder’s verbal/written dictation and coordinating projects with Research Assistants. Records the Founder’s time worked in the timekeeping system.
- Serves as the liaison between the Founder and all Landesa staff, including handling requests/assignments for the Founder from Communications (blogs, articles, etc.) and Development (donor follow-up, information gathering, etc.). Plans and coordinates staff education events with Founder (ongoing introduction lunches, continuing education lunches, etc.). Keeps the Founder up-to-date regarding policy, process and staffing changes at Landesa.
- Provides personal assistance with details such as mail/bills, rent, meal reservations, purchases, medical appointments, and personal travel at times.
- Coordinates with external organizations for the Founder’s attendance and/or presentations at conferences and other events.
- Creates, updates and/or maintains organized files and records, both hard and soft copy, and maintains the Founder’s desk in an orderly manner.
- Compiles and processes expense reports and reimbursements in an accurate and timely manner.
- Handles the Founder’s UW Law School/seminar-related issues, including scheduling, creating documents, and corresponding with students.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A deep commitment to the mission of a better, safer future for the world’s poorest people through land ownership and secure land rights.
- A strong commitment to serving Landesa’s founder with competence, compassion, patience and understanding.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of people at all levels, including those from host country governmental and non-governmental organizations, and other counterparts, clients, donors, and grantors. Ability to demonstrate cross-cultural sensitivity, tact, and poise. Ability to work collaboratively with teams regardless of role within team and to proactively seek ways to contribute to team success.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including excellent written grammar and editing; ability to communicate professionally and articulately with a variety of people including Landesa staff and leadership, (foreign and domestic), board members, and donors. Strong interpersonal skills, especially in cross-cultural environments.
- Superior professional work habits including accuracy, efficiency, thoroughness, dependability, and the ability to meet deadlines. Proven ability to rapidly adapt to changing priorities and circumstances.
- Proficiency using the Microsoft Suite of products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other software.
- Commitment to Landesa’s core values of impact, respect, collaboration, dedication, and learning.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of related experience serving in an executive assistant or related position.
- Experience working in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments.
- Experience working in an international organization is preferred.
Qualified candidates may apply by submitting a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the title “Assistant – RP” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Landesa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.