Position Title: Research Assistant – Applied Economics
Status: Part Time, Contractor
Location: Washington, DC or Seattle, Washington
Classification: Independent Contractor
Date: April 2019
Compensation: Depending on Experience, about $20 per hour
Grounded in the knowledge that having legal rights to land is a foundation for prosperity and opportunity, Landesa partners with governments and local organizations to ensure that the world’s poorest families have secure rights over the land they till. Founded as the Rural Development Institute in 1967, Landesa has helped more than 100 million poor families gain legal control over their land. With secure land rights, these families can eat better, earn more, educate their children, practice conservation, and achieve dignity for generations. For additional information, visit the Landesa website at www.landesa.org.
Job Summary: The Research Assistant conducts and documents research and supports the research efforts of others on a variety of topics relevant to Landesa’s work. The position is ideal for someone interested in development economics or other quantitative social sciences.
Reporting and relationships: The Research Assistant will report to the Sr. Research and Evaluation Advisor.
Availability: The Research Assistant is expected to work at least 15 hours per week. No travel is required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Creates, processes and manages datasets from primary sources (e.g. household surveys).
- Statistically analyzes primary and secondary data.
- Assists in the design of survey questionnaires and tools.
- Conducts research on a broad range of topics under development economics such as customary and legal land rights in developing countries, women’s land rights, and socio-economic country profiles.
- Helps prepare project reports and policy briefs.
- Carries out miscellaneous administrative tasks and other duties depending upon the needs of the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A deep commitment to the mission of a better, safer future for the world’s poorest people through land ownership and secure land rights.
- Graduate level training in statistical methods and analysis of quantitative data.
- Substantial experience working with STATA
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams regardless of role within team and to proactively seek ways to contribute to team success.
- Strong communication and writing skills; proficiency using Microsoft Suite of products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other software.
- Be available to work at least 15 hours a week.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of graduate education in economics, or other field with a focus on applied economics or statistics.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should complete send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line Research Assistant – Applied Economics (Location).